With the start of a new calendar in January, many individuals implement New Year’s Resolutions in their personal lives. We at HRinDemand suggest taking this opportunity to create New Year’s Resolutions for your business. Here are a few ideas to get you started!
Employee Training and Retention
- Administer employee training, on topics such as diversity and inclusion, anti-harassment, or teambuilding. Ideas for supervisor training include conducting performance reviews, conflict resolution, and understanding FMLA and ADA.
- Conduct a salary survey to ensure your employees are compensated according to industry standards.
- Improve employee retention. Create an exit interview to determine why employees are leaving and implement ideas from the survey.
- Revise your performance review process.
Recruiting and Onboarding
- Review and edit job descriptions.
- Enhance your company’s onboarding process. Ask employees (both new and “seasoned”) what they would have found helpful during the first few months of their employment.
Compliancy and Organization
- Audit FLSA status to ensure employees are properly classified as exempt or nonexempt.
- Organize your paper documents according to record retention guidelines. Consider implementing paperless document systems.
- Analyze your employee handbook.
- Examine your federal and state employment posters to ensure they are up-to-date.
If you have questions or need assistance executing your company’s New Years Resolutions, contact the HRinDemand team.
Bailey Cummins, PHR, is a member of the HRinDemand team, a human resources company in Reno, NV, offering expert guidance and easy-to-use tools to help small businesses with employment regulations, compliance, employee relations, and company growth.